Supplemental Disinfection with UVC: A University-based Health System Experience
The University of Wisconsin Health is serious about providing the cleanest environment for patient care including broad utilization of a sporicidal disinfectant, an established antibiotic stewardship program and a quality assurance program for monitoring cleaning of high touch surfaces. The health system also utilizes UVC disinfection as an added layer of protection against germs and pathogens.
In a new CE course, Marc-Oliver Wright, MT(ASCP), MS, CIC, FAPIC, shares his experience at the university-based health system. At the end of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Verbalize the ubiquitous contamination and survivability of organisms in the healthcare environment
- Describe the mechanism of action of UV light’s bactericidal properties
- Detail the results of the BETR-D study from Duke
- Outline the multi-faceted performance improvement efforts aimed at reducing Clostridiodes difficile infection at a university hospital setting
- Describe the implementation of UVC technology and change in multidrug-resistant organism (MDRO) rates